I was born in Belize City, Belize on 11th January, 1988 but I grew up in the Caribbean. My father’s job caused us to relocate every two to three years to a different country in the region. As a child, I lived and attended school in Barbados, St. Kitts & Nevis, and Grenada. Whilst in early high school in Barbados, I developed a fondness for the idea of being a “lawyer” arguing cases in the courtroom. That idea blossomed into a life goal so that in 2006, after I graduated from junior college, I headed to the University of the West Indies, Cavehill Campus, Barbados to begin the five-year program of becoming an attorney.
My professional journey began in 2011 when I became a Crown Counsel in the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions. Whilst at the D.P.P’s office, I prosecuted several criminal offence cases including the case of The Queen v Gregory August. This was appealed all the way to Belize’s highest appellate court, the Caribbean Court of Justice, where I appeared on record along with the Director of Public Prosecutions and others. The Gregory August case has since become one of the region’s landmark decisions on the constitutionality of the mandatory life sentence for a conviction of murder.
In 2013, after leaving the D.P.P’s office, I joined the cadre of attorneys at Barrow & Williams LLP, one of the premier law firms in Belize. During my time at Barrow & Williams, I represented an array of clients with various legal issues. I also had the opportunity to sit on the firm’s Management and Corporate Affairs committees. My experience and exposure at the firm was invaluable.
In December 2019, I took the next step in my professional journey and began my own practice, this practice – Stevanni L. Duncan, Attorney-at-Law & Notary Public.
- University of Belize – Master in Business Administration (2019)
- Norman Manley Law School, Jamaica – Certificate of Legal Education (2011)
- University of the West Indies, Barbados – Bachelor of Laws (2009)
- Barrow & Williams LLP, Associate (2013-2019)
- Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (2011-2013)
- Office of the Public Defender in Jamaica, Temporary Investigator (March, 2011)
- Bar Association of Belize
- Effective Communication Skills Workshop, The Belize Chamber of Commerce and Industry/BTEC, 23rd May, 2019
- Effective Advocacy and Management in Domestic Arbitration Training Course, 23rd May 2017
- Training on Anti-Money Laundering/Counter Terrorism Financing, Belize, October 2014
- Foundation Management Program, Lex Mundi Institute, California, July 2014
- Belize Bar Association Law Conferences, (annual)
- Central American Integration System (SICA) conference on The Examination of Security Documents in Dominican Republic, 2012
- International Organization for Migration (IOM) conference on Human Trafficking in Belize, 2011
- Adjunct Lecturer (Paralegal Studies) at Wesley Junior College, 2014 – 2016 and present